daddy made it

Turning fatherhood into art (and crafts). To inspire parents to turn their kids' childhood into works of art.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Turn an Old Record Cover into a Snazzy Notebook

Aka. Making a 100-page "book of brilliant things."

Confession time: I have an embarrassing weakness for ... stationary. There, I said it. We're talking pens, staplers, notebooks, paper, paperweights, whatever one can find in a stationary. It's not unlike my relationship to cameras (I have about 10, and still coveting more).

But lately, what I've been coveting are things you can't buy in a store. More and more, I'm finding things on the web that I want to make. That I have to make. Not just for me, but for the wife and kid.

So when I saw this tutorial on turning those old vinyl record covers into a journal notebook, I had to try it. That's my first effort on the left, using a Simple Minds cover.


Who it was made for: The wife.
The occasion: None. Just wanted to make it.

Materials:
  • Paper. Legal size.
  • Old album cover
  • Yarn and embroidery needle
  • Thumb tacks.
  • Paper Cutter
  • Binder clips
  • Pencil
  • Ruler
  • Butter knife
  • Elastic

Check out the Instructable link for the full tutorial with photos, but basically:
  1. Measure and cut album cover.
  2. Fold the paper.
  3. Clip to hold together. Puncture holes.
  4. Stitch the binding.
  5. Put on the elastic.
Ta Da.

Total time: about 2 hours (you could do it quicker, if you're the organized type.)

Total cost: $1.50 (for the elastic).

What I could do better: The stitchings are a little loose. I could try to make them tighter next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home